Founded in the 1930s and re-born just after the Second World War, Iden and Playden Garden Society (IPGS) is one of the oldest Garden Societies in the district and this venerable group continues to provide a focus for horticultural interests – not just for the villagers, but a much wider area. IPGS is always pleased to welcome new members (annual subscription £5).
Members from Rye are prominent in the activities which include a winter lecture, social evening and seasonal flower shows. The latest, the Autumn Flower and Produce Show, was held in Iden Village Hall last Saturday. The trophies were awarded as members and visitors enjoyed tea and refreshments.
- Daphne Lightfoot Cup (Most points in Dahlia Classes) – Mrs Anne Banning
- Park Farm Cup (Best vase of Dahlias) – Mrs Janet Johnson
- The Elms Trophy (Points in floral art section) – Mrs Trish Evans
- Raffles Cup (Best pot plant) – Mrs Trish Evans
- Tate Trophy ( Best vegetable exhibit) – Mr Richard Tobitt
- Albert Cup (Best display of garden photographs) – Mrs Priscilla Ryan.
- Oxenbridge Cup (Best funny vegetable animal) – Rev. and Mrs Geoffrey Scott
- Herringfield Plaque (Aggregated points in show) – Mrs Trish Evans
- Brian Hargreaves Tankard (points received over 2015 for miniature floral art) – Mrs Janet Johnson
Photo: Christopher Strangeways