The new owner of the Rye Health Store, Georgina Woods, is transforming the shop with ranges of organic foodstuffs, whole foods and health products, a loyalty scheme offering a 5% discount, and a recycling programme to reduce plastic waste.
Woods believes in “empowering people to look after their health and improve their well-being” and everything she sells has been carefully selected, and priced, towards that goal. Foodstuffs on sale include:
- organic bread from Judges bakery and free range eggs from Carters in Battle and Rookery Farm in Flansham;
- gluten-free corn flakes, granola, cereals and porridge;
- organic beans, peas, wheat, couscous, pasta and rice;
- frozen vegan and vegetarian foods e.g. vegan mince, veggie burgers and ‘Clive’s’ pies;
- teas, juices, oils, vinegars and tapenades;
- organic ice cream; and
- ‘Portuguese Heritage Honey’, a best selling alternative to the much more expensive Manuka honey.
In addition the shop has a full range of homeopathic remedies on sale supplied by royal warrant holders ‘Ainsworth’. The shop also stocks body and face care items ranging from high end ‘Neal’s Yard’ (Woods is one of the country’s approved ‘Neal’s Yard’ stockists) to cheaper ‘Faith in Nature’ and ‘Beauty Without Cruelty’ products. There is also a range of natural hair dyes, ‘Dr Hauschka’ lotions and products for men such as Dr Bronner’s shaving cream.
Woods, who qualified at the College of Naturopathic Medicine in London, specialising in traditional herbal medicines, has a degree in environmental science. To support the environment Woods encourages shoppers to refill coffee containers and washing up liquid bottles thus reducing the amount of plastic waste, as well as the cost of each purchase.
With her aim of establishing a community focused health hub Woods wants her shop to have “something for everyone” and is more than happy to discuss health products and how to improve one’s well-being. And in answer to a much asked question “Yes, the front signage is going to be replaced”, once any necessary planning approval has been obtained.
Rye Health Store is open from 9:30am to 5:30pm from Monday to Saturday and is located at 90 High Street, Rye, TN31 7JN.