A quiz for Christmas Day
1. If the first footer on New Year’s Day is a woman, what would she bring?
2. Where was the legend of Santa Claus derived from?
3. What year did Reindeer become part of the Christmas tradition?
4. What is the “Christmas Card Carol” more commonly known as?
5. Before the calendar change in 1752, what date did Christmas fall on?
6. Who wrote the music for “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”?
7. Who was supposedly the real St. Nicholas?
8. What was banned by Oliver Cromwell’s government?
9 . Who were Melchior, Casper and Balthazar?
10. Where does the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square, London, come from each year?
11. How many gold rings did my true love send to me
12.Which of the following years had a white Christmas: 1950,1960 or 1970?
13. in 1975 in Oregon USA. the world’s tallest Christmas tree was erected. How tall was it?
14. What did Tom Smith invent?
15. What poem did the reindeers get their names from?
16. What did Edmund Halley (1658-1742) predict for Christmas Day in 1758 and was found to be true?
17.If berries symbolise Christ’s blood, what does holly symbolise ?
18. What do the French call Father Christmas?
19. Which duo recorded the song “Happy Christmas (war is over)”?
20. When should Christmas decorations be put up, traditionally?
21. Who had a hit with “Blue Christmas”?
22. In what pantomime does the character ‘King Rat’ appear?
23. In what pantomime is there a manservant called Dandini?
24. What seasonal sprig would you find on an apple or ash tree?
25. Which character declares “Merry Christmas, one and all!” in Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”?
26.What’s the name of the giant snow monster that guards Elsa’s palace in “Frozen”?
27. Which dessert stems from a pagan fireplace tradition?
28. Apart from icing sugar, what other ingredient is key to making royal icing?
29. What are you eating if you are enjoying “March Bread”?
30. Bounceberry is a colloquial name for which Christmassy frui ?
1 BAD LUCK
2 THE GERMAN GOD ODIN
4 SILENT NIGHT
5 JANUARY 6
7 BISHOP NICHOLAS OF MYRA
9 THE THREE WISE MEN
13 99ft 6ins
14 CHRISTMAS CRACKER
15 A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS
16 THE APPEARANCE OF HALEY’S COMET
17 CROWN OF THORNS
18 PERE NOEL
19 JOHN LENNON AND YOKO ONO
20 TWELVE DAYS BEFORE
21 ELVIS PRESLEY
22 DICK WHITTINGTON
25 TINY TIM
27 YULE LOG
Image Credits: K. Bird .