They’re back! Beach rave set to return

1
2370
Revellers take part in a beach cook-out on Greatstone beach, August 2020.

Despite a crackdown by local councils on beach parties after a rave on Greatstone beach last August, hundreds of people are expected to descend on Camber this weekend for another “Beach Cookout”.

Beach Cookout being promoted on social media

Furious residents in Greatstone watched in dismay last year as four coachloads of people and cars filled with revellers attended a mass gathering for the Beach Cookout. Four police officers were later injured as altercations spread beyond the beach. Piles of litter and debris were left strewn across the beach after the rave which was left to local residents to clear up.

Tickets costing up to £25 for this weekend’s event are being sold by the same Croydon organiser as last year, Flavour Boss Jerk Centre, a take-away Caribbean food venue in Lower Addiscombe Road.

Social media posts advertise the event as a beach cookout at a secret beach location, midday till late.

Both police and local councils were criticised after last years debacle but Councillor David Wimble, Independent Party representative for New Romney said: “We were made aware of the situation three days ago. We are talking to Kent Police and taking whatever steps may be necessary, but at the moment it looks like it’s heading for Camber.”

Cllr David Wimble

A spokesman for Rother District Council said: “We never authorise any events at Camber Sands for safety reasons. We have not given permission for any events on the beach and we are working with Kent and Sussex police and other councils to prevent any unlicensed events taking place.”

Kent Police Inspector Andy Brittenden from the Folkestone and Hythe Community Safety Unit told Rye News: “We are aware a music event is being publicised to take place in the Sussex area on Sunday, August 1. Work to liaise with Sussex Police and local district councils is underway and if any attempts to establish an unlicensed event in Kent are discovered, necessary action will be taken against anti-social behaviour and organisers could find themselves at risk of having equipment seized.

“Visitors are welcome to enjoy our beaches in Kent but we remind everyone that nuisance behaviour and criminal activity in our coastal towns will not be tolerated and action will be taken against those responsible.”

1 COMMENT

  1. Time for councils and government to take action and ban barbeques, large parties and loud music on public beaches and dune systems before the areas are spoilt beyond recognition. Barbeques are are a health and safety risk to the public. Large parties can been deemed to be intimidating and cause unwanted littering. Loud music is a noise nuisance and not welcomed by families with young children and others who also wish to enjoy the public beaches.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here