Teams from the local petanque league gathered at the Pipemakers Arms, on Monday, October 21 for the league’s presentation night where thirty three trophies were presented to top teams and top players.
The league is made up of 40 teams divided in to five divisions, playing on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings throughout the summer.
- The Crown Inn, Tenterden won the Tuesday A league with the Warren Inn, New Romney being the runner-up.
- The Tuesday B league winners were the Tenterden club A team runner-up being Dolphin B team from Lydd.
- The Two Sawyers A, Pett came top of the Tuesday C league followed by Pub 31, Winchelsea Beach.
- The Tuesday D league, the Beckley team from the Rose and Crown pub won the league with the Rye team from the Pipemakers Arms runner-up.
- The Wednesday league was won by the Inkerman Arms, Rye Harbour with the Queens Head, Icklesham being runner-up.
There is a beer round played at the end of each of the league matches where the loser buys the winner a beer. The teams that won most free beer in each league were Tenterden Club; Warren Inn; Camber Castle; Fat Ox; Queens; Two Sawyers; Millers Arms; Pipemakers Arms; and the Inkerman Arms
Collecting trophies for top men’s and top ladies’ players in each league were:
- Mr & Mrs N & K Elliott, Warren Inn.
- Mens: W Edgar, Dolphin Inn; A Justice, Pub 31; T Stanley, Rose & Crown; A Pawson, Inkerman Arms.
- Ladies: S Waite, Crown; S Lyne, Cross Inn; M Mills, Queens Head.
In the singles competition the winner was S Mortimer, Inkerman Arms. Runner-up J Simpson, Crown.
In the pairs competition the winners were J Phillips & D Pearson, Pub 31. Runners-up A Pawson & S Mortimer, Inkerman Arms.
Image Credits: Dennis Leeds-George .