As everyone is aware, the Lower School site in Rye is available again for development. I would like to suggest that part of this site is used for additional station parking or for a permanent daily market to replace the current Thursday market site. This permanent market site could be used to host special events such as a Christmas market, as is popular on the Continent, and would lead to greater tourism for Rye.
Additional station parking is needed for the following reasons:
- There are currently 86 spaces, 70 for cars and 16 for coaches in the station parking area, which is fine every day except Thursdays, which is market day and the Cattle Market car park is closed. This leads to all the cars that currently use the Cattle Market using the station car park, which is full by 7am
- As many are aware, Amber Rudd and all the other MP candidates support the introduction of new direct services from Rye to London with a journey time of 55 minutes. This would lead to additional people wanting to use the services to London. There would also be more tourists visiting from London
- The young people of Rye would have more employment opportunities as they would be able to use a fast and reliable service to London
- Currently the last service from London is 21.42 from St Pancras or 20.40 from Charing Cross, so there is no point in anyone from Rye going to see a show or concert or evening sporting event as they would have to leave before the end
- There is currently only one service per hour to London off peak. This would hopefully be increased with the new direct services
Finally, if you do want the new direct services to London as soon as possible, please go to this link to register your support.
Photos: Tony Nunn
Image Credits: John Minter .