1. Give any year in the life of explorer Vasco Da Gama
2. In which year of the 1990s was Stephen Lawrence murdered?
3. In which London building was Queen Victoria born?
4. Oxfam was founded in 1942 – initially to help the starving of which European country?
5. Winston Churchill held which cabinet position in 1924 under Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin?
6. Who married Henry VIII on 30th May 1536?
7. Which German war criminal was captured by Mossad agents in Argentina in 1960 and executed in Israel by hanging in 1962?
8. The Battle of Hastings took place on which day of the week?
9. In which decade of the 19th century was the TUC founded?
10. Which organisation won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965?
11. Which dynasty ruled China between 960 and 1279?
12. Which world leader was assassinated on 17th August 1988?
13. Who was King of England between 924 and 927?
14. Specifically what did Horatio Nelson lose (apart from 250 men) in a failed attempt to conquer Tenerife at the Battle of Santa Cruz in 1797?
15. Give any year in the life of Galileo Galilei
16. The Menai Bridge opened, the first Atlantic crossing by a steamship, and London Zoo first opened in Regent’s Park all in which decade of the 19th century? Note: First steamship means powered steam alone and not the hybrid type powered by steam and sails
17. At 5:12am on 6th April 1941, German, Italian and Hungarian forces attacked which other European country ?
18. Who was Italy’s last king when they became a republic in 1946?
19. OPEC was founded in 1960 – the founding members were Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and which South American country?
20. Who was the first protestant Archbishop of Canterbury ?
21. The world’s oldest news agency (still in existence) was founded in what country in 1835?
22. The ship ‘Victory’ was launched in 1765 from which dockyard?
23. Tea first came to Britain in which century?
24. The sovereignty of which territory was transferred to the UK by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713?
25. Earl Mountbatten was killed by IRA bombers in 1979, in which Irish county?
26. Who was Pope during the second world war?
27. Marks & Spencer first opened in 1894 in which English city?
28. Who was secretary general of the United Nations 1982-1991?
29. Construction of the Colosseum in Rome started during the rule of which emperor?
30. Which British spy escaped from Wormwood Scrubs prison in 1966 and fled to the USSR?
3. KENSINGTON PALACE
5. CHANCELLOR OF THE EXCHEQUER
6. JANE SEYMOUR
7. ADOLF EICHMANN
11. SONG DYNASTY
12. GENERAL ZIA (PAKISTAN)
14. HIS RIGHT ARM
18. UMBERTO II
20. THOMAS CRANMER
21. FRANCE (AGENCE FRANCE-PRESS – AFP)
23. 17TH (1642)
26. POPE PIUS XII
28. JAVIER PEREZ DE QUELLAR
29. VESPASIAN (70 AD)
30. GEORGE BLAKE
Image Credits: Rye News library .