Newly refurbished, the Cinque Ports PH in Cinque Ports Street takes on a new lease of life in the hands of Mine Host, Jeremy Sperring, who took over the running of the pub last year.
The whole ground floor has been given a modern décor chosen by Ruth Sperring, Jeremy’s wife, in colours based on the Farrow & Ball palette, but mixed by Rye DIY to give fescue blue, zinnia grey and a warm shade of ivory. “The idea was to freshen up the pub and to open it up to everyone without the partition making for segregation”, said Jeremy.
Total cost of refurbishment was £18,500, but this included taking up the 1950s Marley tile covered floorboards, checking for asbestos (fortunately there was none present) and relaying an attractive composite surface material. The bulk of expense on the flooring was defrayed by tied house owners Shepherd Neame Brewery, which claims to be Britain’s oldest brewers, founded at Faversham, Kent in 1698.
Visually, the chief difference apart from the smarter décor is the re-modelling of the rear room to provide a more open space available not only to the regular clientele but also serving as a family room (children and dogs welcome) or as a performance area for special events. These have already commenced with a well-received jukebox selection on New Year’s Eve, to be followed by other light entertainments booked for this year.
Jeremy has lived in Rye for 50 years. Having come here, aged 11, he attended the local school and lived at the Queen’s Head in Landgate which was run by his father, so he knows the publican’s trade inside out. For the last 15 years, he and Ruth have been running the Purely Vintage shop at the other end of Cinque Ports Street.
Image Credits: Kenneth Bird .